The Molecular Targets Program (MTP) of the National Cancer Institute's Center for Cancer Research (NCI's CCR) has a postdoctoral position available in its Natural Products Chemistry Section. Successful candidates will engage in the isolation and structural elucidation of biologically active natural products identified in a variety of cancer-targeted high throughput screens. While primarily a chemistry position, the candidate will have opportunities to work with some of our other sections at the MTP and learn about screening, bioassay development, and biological characterization of hit compounds.
Basic function – A Postdoctoral Associate is requested in the chemistry laboratory to perform tasks associated with the isolation of biologically active natural products.
The position is located at the NCI-Frederick Maryland campus. The candidates must have a Ph.D. in natural products chemistry, pharmacognosy, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, or a related discipline from an accredited research institution within the last three years. The fellowship duration is 5 years based on performance and yearly evaluations. The fellowship is not restricted to U.S. citizens.
The NIH is dedicated to building a diverse community in its training and employment programs; underrepresented minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
• PhD in Chemistry with a strong emphasis on the isolation and structural elucidation of natural products.
• Proficient in use of NMR and mass spectrometry instrumentation and data interpretation.
• Knowledge of separation techniques for the isolation of natural products.
• Expert knowledge of natural product databases.
• Ability to troubleshoot and maintain liquid chromatography systems.
• Ability to perform semi-synthetic reactions on natural products.
• Experience with large, gram-scale, isolations of natural products.
• Experience in the use of bioinformatic tools for the analysis of spectroscopic data.
• Knowledge of density functional theory calculations.
The fellowship stipend starts at $57,600 per annum and is determined based on qualifications and years of relevant experience.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV with bibliography, and three letters of reference to MTP_PostDoc@nih.gov or directly to Dr. Tanja Grkovic at email@example.com More information about the Molecular Targets Program is available here: https://ccr.cancer.gov/molecular-targets-program. This position is subject to a background investigation.