GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation of public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the state of Schleswig-Holstein (10%) and is one of the internationally leading institutions in the field of marine sciences. Currently GEOMAR disposes over an annual budget of approx. 72 million Euro and has approx. 950 employees.
The research unit Marine Natural Products Chemistry/ GEOMAR Centre for Marine Biotechnology within the research division Marine Ecology, is offering a post as
Analytical marine natural product chemist
starting on 01.07.2016.
For the laboratories of GEOMAR-Biotech we are seeking an experienced and highly motivated candidate with demonstrated expertise in analytical marine natural product chemistry. The holder of this post will perform a range of research tasks including sampling, generation and metabolic profiling/dereplication of marine extracts, purification and characterization of marine natural products and application of a wide range of modern analytical methods, including mass spectrometry-based chemical imaging, to marine natural product chemistry research.
The holder of the post will participate in various projects on marine invertebrates, marine plants and microorganisms. He/she will closely interact with other research groups from broad range of scientific disciplines at both GEOMAR and Kiel University. The successful candidate will be also involved in supervision of postgraduate/undergraduate students, teaching, preparations of third-party funding proposals and administration.
GEOMAR Centre for Marine Biotechnology (GEOMAR-Biotech), a state-of-the-art research centre carrying out both basic and applied research, is part of the Research Unit Marine Natural Product Chemistry (RU MN) at GEOMAR. The research topics at RU MN/GEOMAR-Biotech range from fundamental marine chemical ecology to exploration of chemical components of symbiotic and marine sediment microorganisms as well as macroorganisms (invertebrates, seaweeds, deep-sea organisms) for biodiscovery and biotechnological potential in development of marine medicines, food ingredients or cosmeceuticals.
The Research Unit Marine Natural Product Chemistry (http://www.geomar.de/en/research/fb3/fb3-mn/) is part of the Research Division Marine Ecology of GEOMAR. It is equipped with state-of-the-art chemical facilities including UPLC-QTOF-MS-coupled with DESI Imaging Mass Spectrometry, HPLC-DAD-MS, HPLC-HRMS, GC-MS, accelerated solvent extraction (ASE) system, FT-IR, polarimeter and related databases, as well as microbiology/biotechnology facilities and over 50 in vitro biological assays. The GEOMAR has full access to the Department of Chemistry of Kiel University and their high-resolution (cryo-) NMR facilities. We are members of several excellence clusters, such as The Future Ocean, Kiel Life Sciences and several international consortia.
• A PhD in marine natural products chemistry or a related field
• Demonstrated competence and experience in analytical techniques for metabolic profiling and dereplication of marine natural products mainly by LC-MS but also NMR and other techniques
• Proficiency in various commercial and in house databases
• Extensive competence and experience in purification of diverse types of natural products (by HPLC and other chromatographic methods)
• Demonstrated experience in identification/characterization of marine natural products by high field NMR, HRMS, LC-MS
• Previous experience in imaging mass spectrometry (IMS) is highly desirable
• Experience in writing publications, conference papers and research proposals
• Fluency in spoken and written English and excellent oral and written communication skills
• Planning and organisational skills, prioritisation of multiple tasks, meeting strict deadlines
• Demonstrated project and laboratory management skills in multiple tasks
• Capability of creative- and critical thinking, independent thought and experimentation, decision making, problem solving with discretion, self-motivation and curiosity
A SCUBA diving licence and experience in ship-going expeditions are advantageous.
This is a full time position available from the 01.07.2016 for two years. The salary depends on qualification and could be up to the class 13 TVöD of the German salary rate for public employees. The position cannot be split.
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application containing: 1. Your CV, 2. Contact information for three references, 3. A cover letter explaining interest in the position and career goals, in a single pdf-file no later than 27.05.2016 by e-mail to the GEOMAR personnel office (E-Mail: bewerbung(at)geomar.de).
Please put keyword “Analytics-MN-Tasdemir ” in the subject line of your email application.
For further information regarding the position and research unit please contact Prof. Dr. Deniz Tasdemir by email (dtasdemir(at)geomar.de) and/or visit our website (http://www.geomar.de/forschen/fb3/fb3-mn/schwerpunkte/)
GEOMAR is a member of the Helmholtz Association and the German Marine Research Consortium (KDM). For further information please visit www.geomar.de or www.helmholtz.de