At the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, the University of Graz is seeking to appoint a Professor of Pharmacognosy (40 hours per week; selection procedure in accordance with Section 98 of the Universities Act (UG); permanent employment according to the Salaried Employees Act (AngG). Expected starting date: October 1st 2024. The professorship should cover the core area of pharmacognosy or pharmaceutical biology of pharmacy and be fully responsible for the field of biogenic drug substances in teaching. The post holder will conduct research on the discovery and chemical and pharmacological characterisation of new biogenic agents and drug candidates. Innovative omics-based approaches should be used, preferably those based on metabolomic methods. We expect applicants to have completed an Austrian or equivalent foreign university education (doctorate/PhD), as well as a habilitation or equivalent qualification in the field of pharmacy/pharmacognosy. Furthermore, outstanding scientific qualifications in research and teaching and have successfully attracted third-party funding. We also expect gender mainstreaming skills. Please submit your applications stating the reference number BV/1/98 ex 2022/23 by March 1st 2023 at the latest. For information about the application procedures and other prerequisites, please visit https://jobsprof.uni-graz.at/en/job/7467. Planned dates of the applicant’s presentation: 10.07.2023 to 14.07.2023
The professorship should cover the core area of pharmacognosy or pharmaceutical biology of pharmacy and be fully responsible for the field of biogenic drug substances in teaching. The post holder will conduct research on the discovery, chemical, and pharmacological characterisation of new biogenic agents and drug candidates. Innovative omics-based approaches should be used, preferably those based on metabolomic methods. Furthermore, new research accents are to be set and university-wide cooperation opportunities established in the fields of pharmacy, molecular biosciences, chemistry and biology. The research profile of the professorship should complement and strengthen the ongoing research activities in the life sciences in Graz through active participation in the Field of Excellence “BioHelath” as well as the inter-university networks NAWI Graz and BioTechMed-Graz.
- Austrian or equivalent foreign higher education degree corresponding with the position (doctorate/PhD)
- Habilitation or equivalent qualification in Pharmacy/Pharmacognosy
- Outstanding academic qualifications in research and teaching in the relevant discipline and for the profile of the professorship (commensurate with stage of academic career)
- Success in attracting subject-specific project grants, particularly where competitively awarded third-party funds are concerned
- Skills in higher education didactics and online teaching
- Skills in the supervision and guidance of early career researchers
- Professional experience abroad during academic career
- Management and leadership experience
- Gender mainstreaming skills
- The ability to teach courses in German and English
- Interdisciplinary experimental work in the field of natural product research, preferably in the area of pharmaceutically relevant drugs.
- The successful candidate will be highly motivated, aiming for academic excellence and integrity in research and teaching. He/she will have demonstrated ability to collaborate constructively in a responsible manner and inspire colleagues and students in an interdisciplinary, internationally oriented context.