CO2 extracts provide a fresher aroma that is closer to the original plant material, however not much is known about the chemistry or yield of many CO2 extracts. Unknown substances or impurities can be difficult to identify. Structure elucidation is necessary to identify or confirm the structural identity of a chemical compound during product development. This position is focused on identifying and targeting the unknown fraction of extracts. The responsibilities will include but are not limited to, experimental design to isolate and identify natural products, and publishing research findings in high-impact peer-reviewed journals. The fellow will also participate in research activities related to aromatic plants.
- Plan, design and carry out experiments, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Prepare polar and non-polar crude extracts from plant materials using the appropriate solvents
- Isolate and purify the bioactive agents using the activity-guided chromatographic separation technique.
- Develop and validate new methods and equipment for research and testing purposes.-Structure elucidation is necessary to identify or confirm the structural identity of a chemical compound.
- Determine the chemical structures of the isolated bioactive compounds.-Investigate the possible mechanism of action of the active materials.
- Conduct research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed and reviewing lab notebooks prior to data release to ensure accuracy.
- Conduct relevant literature searches and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of all current methods of experimentation.
- Contribute to the dissemination of knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings in peer-reviewed journals or books and presenting findings in meetings with colleagues and at scientific conferences.
- Analyze raw data using a variety of testing equipment and techniques to ascertain oil quality and the presence of adulteration.
- Contribute actively to the EOS educational seminars and classes.
- Perform routine standardization and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Mentor, supervise, and train junior team members and interns on experiments, testing methods, and procedures, when applicable.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required.
- Assist in organizing work with outside research organizations and company collaboration partnerships.-
- Other related duties as assigned
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry, pharmacognosy, natural product chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related fields
- Structure elucidation experience is preferred
- Strong writing background with evidence of strong research publication record
- Knowledge of FDA and GMP laboratory compliance preferred
- Previous research and lab experience required
- Organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal skills through experience in presentation and communication of technical information to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Demonstrated expertise in written communication and technical writing through peer review research publications, manuscripts, or other technical documentation
- Knowledge of method validation process and record-keeping
- Extensive knowledge of research techniques and methodologies
- Problem solving skills
Brynnlee Bird, email@example.com